Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Well, it's been a while. I had a fun assignment the other day, with a bunch of kids happily designing and building their own inventions. My colleague at the Bloor West Villager, Lisa Rainford, did a nice story on it here: http://bit.ly/16hU8DlBut since most photos were only in the print edition here are a few of my favourites. MakerKids at 2241 Dundas St. West lets children create things with the help of adult volunteers. Go build cool things, kids of Toronto!

David Shizgal, 8, Daniel Benaich, 8, and Clara Scott, 7, check on the progress of the 3-D printer at MakerKids.

AJ, 8, works on the remote-control robot he designed and built.

Parts that control things are among the many supplies available at MakerKids. 

Elliot Scott, 3, clips wires on the way to building his own robot. 

Ariel Berant, 9, saws a plank for his floating aircraft launcher with guidance from Grade 10 volunteer Matthew Seferian. 

Daniel Benaich, 8, successfully solders the wires for his machine, with some help from volunteer Nadim.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I'm a photojournalist based in Toronto, Canada. I started working in the summer of 2010, shooting for weekly newspapers, magazines, and the web, after a year at Loyalist College in Belleville, Ontario. My background is in anthropology, and graduate studies took me to South America to look at social change and political empowerment. I try to bring together my anthropology and photography studies in my work, since at their best both are about looking closely to find revealing moments, so we can better understand one another's lives.