Thursday, September 8, 2011


This was a strange one. I was taking photos of an angry guy beeping his horn and getting really worked up about the striking workers at Humber College. He clearly didn't want to be photographed. But when I told him I was shooting for the paper and asked his name, he gave it to me. What?! This isn't the shot we ran.

TORONTO - Harvir Singh loses his patience while trying to pick up a friend at Humber College's northern campus, while striking Humber College employment advisor Jennifer Ahmed tries to explain their demands. College support staff with the Ontario Public Service Employees Union College across Ontario are striking for wages, benefits, and job security, with an information picket snarling traffic and causing delays of over an hour on the first day back to class. (Mary Gaudet/Metroland TCN)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I'm a photojournalist based in Toronto, Canada. I started working in the summer of 2010, shooting for weekly newspapers, magazines, and the web, after a year at Loyalist College in Belleville, Ontario. My background is in anthropology, and graduate studies took me to South America to look at social change and political empowerment. I try to bring together my anthropology and photography studies in my work, since at their best both are about looking closely to find revealing moments, so we can better understand one another's lives.